Monday, April 27, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale Blog#6

Why did the book end like that!? I thought Offred was going to escape and be happy forever. Now I don’t know if she died or not. My prediction is that the supposed “Eyes” were actually conductors of the underground “femaleroad”. So I think she probably escaped because of what Nick said and what Serena said. Serena didn’t seem like she knew why the “Eyes” were taking away Offred and Nick said they were there for the Mayday.
I thought Offred was a strong woman like her mom, but once she got together with Nick, everything went down for her. She said it herself, that Moira must of thought of her as a wimp. She had a serious breakdown when she was thinking of ways to get away from the pain of the Eyes’ torture. She thought so much that the “Eyes” came and she just turned herself in. I guess Ofglen was Offred’s last hope of escaping. If Ofglen hadn’t died, Offred would have escaped eventually. She wasted that match for her escape. I wonder how Serena found that nightgown or veil or whatever. It was probably in the Commander’s office or something like that. Offred just didn’t care anymore. What a pity, I thought she was stronger than that.

2 comments:

  1. I wish the book didn't end like that. It was the biggest cliffhanger I was ever left on...Well, we can't honestly tell if she died or not. We don't really know of the people who took her are really going to help her out. All we know is that Nick said that those people were safe, but we can never be so sure.

    I think Serena Joy did know why the Eyes came. I believe she probably informed them. I mean, she did find out that Offred snuck off with her husband. Maybe this is her form of revenge. She did say that Offred was going to get hers and even called her a bitch. Or at least I think that's what she said. You're going to have to look that up. My memory is lacking.

    I think Offred was like her mother in some cases, but not entirely like her. I do believe that Offred is strong, but not strong like her mother. I see Moira resembling Offred's mom more than Offred does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the book ended too suddenly. I really wished the author went on to tell how Offred lived the rest of her life. I would say Offred is medium-strong but anyone would be afraid in that kind of an oppressive society. I still question whether Nick was really an agent of the Eyes or an agent of the underground resistance society. I don't really think that the Wife called the Eyes because she seemed surprised. She probably found the dress either in the office or she found that it was worn recently when she went to look for it in her wardrobe. I hope in my mind that Offred made it somewhere safe outside of the United States. But this is only wishful thinking and there's no way to prove it because the author herself probably didn't think about this question or purposely left it vague so that the reader can interpret the ending however he or she wanted to.

    ReplyDelete