Monday, April 13, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale blog#1

I like “The Handmaid’s Tale” so far. It has a setting of a story I have never read before. It’s interesting to read every page I’ve read so far. Although it’s so very interesting, it’s confusing at the same time. The way the Margaret Atwood writes some sentences is weird. I don’t really like how she doesn’t put quotation marks for most of the dialogue she puts in. I’m not even sure what the narrator’s name is. I found it scary that an eye is the symbol of the society, it’s like you always have to fear for someone watching you at all times. I would like to know what’s the purpose of keeping the society separated from the rest of the world. Why does the narrator only remember her aunt’s words rather than her mother’s most of the time?It’s also scary how the society puts dead people on a wall to scare the handmaid’s into not doing the things the hanged people did. I think probably blood is a symbol of the story up until now. The wing veils they wear remind me of dragonfly wings.

2 comments:

  1. I like your connection between the wings and dragonflies, Luis! It brings up a nice image.

    Why do you think Atwood avoids using quotation marks? What do you think that indicates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she avoids the quotation marks to indicate that Offred is remembering what someone said. When Offred speaks herself, Atwood uses quotation marks. So I guess it's just a way to distinguish between Offred's thoughts or thoughts and Offred's voice.

    ReplyDelete